The Hawaiian market is exceptionally well suited for the products and services of Blue Sky Building Systems. Click here to download a brochure that more fully explains the following Hawaii-specific benefits available from Blue Sky Building Systems. Below is a summary of our advantages in this unique market.
Reduced Construction Time
Our systems can decrease the home construction time in Hawaii by up to 50%.
- Frame and walls are pre-fabricated off-site and then “flat-packed” to maximize shipping space
- Elements are packed in the reverse order and shipped in a sequenced fashion for just in time delivery
- The precision of the frame requires no shimming or adjustments
Our methodology is highly efficient in constrained labor markets like Hawaii.
- Elements arrive on site shaped, cut and drilled to very tight tolerances (1/16 “)
- No site measuring or cutting
- All elements are labeled so there is no question where it fits into the frame
- The moment frame is assembled with bolt connections that are hand tightened
- No site welding or specialized welding inspections are required
Our systems can help lowering labor and general conditions requirements and soft carrying costs.
- Significantly reduced rough framing results in significant labor savings
- Elements of the moment frame and panelized wall systems are shipped flat and are very efficient in sea containers
- Our moment frame only requires a point-loaded footings, significantly decreasing foundation & earth moving costs
- Cost benefit is most dramatic on steeper land parcels where the grading and retaining walls can be reduced
Hawaii has some of the most ecologically sensitive lands in the United States and is ideal for construction methodologies that offer the lightest possible touch on the land.
- The building can literally float over even sensitive terrain, touching down in only a few concrete footings
- The land in between concrete footings can remain untouched
- Reduced site waste since all elements arrive prefabricated to precise requirements
- Our moment frame is measured and pre-cut, essentially waste-free on-site
- Steel is the most recycled material on earth
- Frame elements are fabricated using up to 70 percent recycled steel
- 100 percent of steel elements can eventually be recycled
Hawaii poses a unique set of challenges for the ongoing upkeep of buildings. Home-builders must deal with termite, wood rot, dry rot and fire risks.
- Structural framing elements and walls are termite, rot, and fire-proof
- The framing elements are naturally rodent, pest and rot free
- There is no need for hazardous chemical treatments to the framing elements or walls to inhibit these issues
Wide Open Spaces
The Blue Sky Frame is ideally suited for architects looking to reflect the traditional Hawaiian architectural vernacular in their projects.
- Large open spaces as associated with Hawaiian plantation-style homes without the cost of red steel
- Generous openings to the outdoors are easily achieved, no shear walls or bracing is required
- Can readily be clad in virtually any material desired including wood and stucco.
Here are some examples of projects using our systems in Hawaii:
Location: Hakuela, Hawaii (Big Island)
Status: Construction estimated to begin in August 2013
Architect: Stephen Green Architecture, Inc., Kamuela, HI
Notes: Our first project in Hawaii is a compact 1500 square foot modern ranch house in the upcountry on the Big Island